Sunday, March 05, 2006

Can you hear me now?


Most, if not everyone I've cared to ask, want to be able to communicate better. I certainly did! Moving to the US, not only did I have to adapt to American colloquial english language, I had to learn the Texan "dialect" (hah! might as well be a dialect!) and understand it spoken with a southern slur (which btw is pronounced "SUthern slur"). It's a good thing they don't talk as fast as NYers do!

Most obvious and well-known peculiarity about this dialect is "y'all". Technically, this refers to a single person because it's plural form is "all y'all". But that would be getting to the formal grammatical rules of the dialect. Conversationally and in business, y'all can really be used to refer to one person or a group of people.

Other rules I had to learn were:
1. I don't have to ask "What?" everytime someone says "I tell you what!!!"
2. "Jump in the shower" is not literal
3. "Fixin' to run to" has nothing to do with repairs or marathons

Now, every article, lecture, or what-have-you on communication tells us how listening is vital to improving this tricky skill. But that's easier said than done - especially for me who seems to have a never-expiring onboard pass to a train of thought that doesn't make any stops. One second Darren and I would be talking about home renovations the next second, my mind would be on why Humpty Dumpty is the worst riddle ever. Geezzz... who even cares about that?!!!

As soon as somebody comes to me to talk, I have to shut out the whole world around me - and that's just so I can decipher the delicate inflections unique to this dialect spoken with a slur. I also practically have to use my hands as blinders to avoid being distracted and give my mind a chance to follow the conversation.

Then I needed someone to listen to me... I could almost hear Yosemite Sam saying, "That'll learn ya!"

I didn't need any advice. I didn't need direction. I just needed someone other than Darren to take some time to sit with me, look me in the eye and just listen...

I realized, I was not the only victim of the runaway train. Looking around, everyone is busy - and rightfully so! So many things to do, so little time. As I quietly waste away in desperation, I found the most unlikely listener in Toronto. (Well, we really emailed.) In between tears I typed about my hesitations (OK fears!) and justifications. In between short meetings and work, I would get back hope, encouragement and prayer.

Then, in all His bounty, God decided to send a second gift. I called someone about a this party jar that could hold a tank of iced tea. And she offered to take time out to just listen - without judgement or agenda, only love. She doesn't even know how long I've prayed for and sought after what she was offering. God just decided one Saturday to send her.

I would be remiss if I didn't mention that I received a ton of encouragement from wonderful friends. But these two ladies were godsends. And my prayer is the Lord who gives bountifully returns to each of them and their families according to His great riches.

Would I really begin to listen now? So far, it has not been tested (unless I was not paying attention)... But the train seems to run slower. Now taking stops; taking just enough time to see people around me.

With God, nothing is impossible - not even listening.

Luke 18:27

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home