Thursday, October 19, 2006

Mandated...

CSI conversation between Grissom and a priest about a guy who killed the priest's best friend:
G: Will you forgive him?
P: That is Christ's mandate. You know what that means...
G: You have no choice.

"We always have a choice" sounds insubstantial. The reality is, if you believe in God, unforgiveness has consequences. "...if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." (Mt 6:14) It doesn't really sound like much of a choice, does it?

It's easy to recall moments when someone offended us. It's easy to remember how little by little, it began to eat us up inside. The bigger the offense, the more emotion we invest in anger, the more time we invest re-living the offensive act. As time passes, we become bitter. Bitterness becomes cynicism, which then leads to emotional isolation.

Bitterness does not let us move on. It's shows more in some than others. And some of us, walked in it for so long, we don't even recognize it anymore. It has become our lifestyle.

BUT if you have forgiven someone - actually forgiven fully and completely, its LIBERATING!

Until I forgave, I was carrying a big burden in my head and especially in my heart. When I learned to forgive, I began to live free. FREE! Nothing to hold against anyone. Nothing that God would hold against me. Because He promised "... if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you" (Mt 6:14)

It would be wrong to say it was even remotely easy. It's a process - sometimes loooong one. BUT it IS a WORTHY process.

So more than just the consequences, forgiveness now has a whole new meaning. Forgiveness now means freedom. And we live from example for, while we were still sinners, Christ died for us. He did not only forgive, he made full restitution and total restoration of our inheritance available to us through the cross.


"I no longer call you servants, because a servant does not know his master's business. Instead, I have called you friends, for everything that I learned from my Father I have made known to you." Jn 15:15

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home